I also sent a design package to the top gun in the region, Mr Moses Mabula, the District Executive Officer, who on a previous occasion requested monthly progress reports of our work. And fortunately, his staff accepted my suggested changes to the government plans that we were given to follow. For example, I improved the Administration building layout by having indoor rather than exterior access to washrooms. (I couldn’t imagine staff running to outside doors in the middle of their heavy rainy season.)

To date, Restus has built the floor slabs of the two two-classroom buildings and is doing the foundations for the Administration and Toilet buildings. The walls weren’t up yet, but I did my usual carpentry part of roof framing. How, you ask?? Well, I decided that the trusses should be built with a little better engineering than ones on previous projects. So I asked the B&B hotel if I could build on a nice level grass area outside my room, and they allowed it.

digging trenches for the footings

Oct 3 Alan 1.jpg

building roof trusses

Oct 3 Alan 2.jpg

I built three sample trusses, one for each building. I enjoyed figuring out a strong design that doubled up on the bottom chord members to allow

alignment in a straight plane; it used more timber, but will also be more durable.

During my last visit, I drafted an agreement whereby the construction would be a partnership between Primary Schools for Africa (PSFA), the Gongali

Village Government (GVG) and the regional government, the Karatu District Council Office (KDCO). PSFA will design and construct the buildings and GVG and KDCO will be responsible for site services, ie, electricity, water, sewage, rainwater collection, roads and paths and landscaping. Two important issues that they needed to address by the end of this construction phase were the provision of water and septic systems and filling a large erosion gully

running between our new buildings.